Six Victorian Government departments play important roles in flood management.
- Department of Justice – Office of the Emergency Services Commissioner – (Emergency management policy, emergency planning and performance in Victoria).
- Department of Sustainability and Environment – Office of Water – (flood policy, coordination, and repository of Victoria Flood Database).
- Department of Planning and Community Development – (coordination of land use planning, including building and works, and building regulations).
- Department of Human Services – (community support and recovery for all emergency situations).
- Victoria State Emergency Service – (flood response planning, control agency during significant floods and storms).
- Victoria Police – (disaster control and coordination).
The Victorian Government's roles in flood management are briefly outlined below.
- Ensure adherence to State flood policy, best practice processes and proper investment of government resources.
- Facilitate land use planning measures to reduce the future growth of flood risk and flood damages.
- Support and assist communities in the implementation of appropriate flood mitigation works to reduce the risk of flooding to existing development, where the works are cost effective and address a significant flood risk.
- Encourage and facilitate the implementation of flood warning systems and emergency management programs to reduce the residual risk of flooding to life, health and safety, and damages caused by flooding.
- Ensure that relevant flood information is available to promote community awareness and facilitate decision making.
- Provide resources during significant floods and storms to assist communities in reducing flood risk and human suffering.
- Provide financial assistance under the Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
- Provide for the conservation of natural resources and environmental values of State significance.
- Develop State legislation, policy and standards for flood management, and provide input to national flood management policy.
Flood and floodplain management, in the broad context of emergency management, is described in Learn about Flooding page of this website.
Go to the Contacts page on this website for contact details.