You are here: Home>Recovery>Flood Insurance

Flood Insurance

People are often surprised to find that their building, contents or business insurance does not cover them for flooding. The wording of policies varies widely and different insurance companies take different approaches to damages caused by flooding. In most cases flood damage is not covered by insurance. You need to read your policy carefully to determine whether or not you are covered.

The Insurance Council of Australia represents companies and has produced a brochure about residential flood insurance.  Download Flood Insurance in Australia - some useful information (PDF 59 KB).

The FIDO website provides information on claiming on your house insurance. Here's how you can satisfy your insurer's requirements and maximise the success of your claim. You may also need to claim on your car insurance or your income protection insurance policy.

The Insurance Ombudsmans Service is a free, independent service for resolving disputes between insurance companies and consumers.  It can be contacted on 1300 78 08 08

Page Last Updated: Wednesday 18 August, 2010